Advantages And Disadvantages Of Solar Power

Below you can find a comprehensive list of advantages and disadvantages of solar power.

Advantages Of Solar Energy:

1. Fuel source without limit.
  2. Free, because main source is the sun.
  3. Environment friendly, clean, do not contribute to global warming, acid rains or smog, helps the decrease of harmful green house gas emissions.
  4. You can use it for different purposes: vehicles running on solar power – solar charged driving.
  5. Renewable.
  6. Gives us a way to harness power in remote locations.
  7. The development of new technologies allows us to store the collected solar power through solar energy battery chargers..
  8. Cheaper than electricity heating.
  9. Desalination – it can be used in locations where we have a lack of drinkable water. Solar energy evaporates brine and leaves the salt crystals at the bottom of the basin. The water in turn condenses back in another basin, from which you can drink now.
  10. It is produced where it is consumed.
  11. Does not use fuel therefore does not contribute to the cost of the recovery and transportation of fuel or radioactive waste.
  12. Become an official green business through Green Business Programs.
  13. Solar power production is a silent process.
  14. The equipment needs little maintenance.
  15. Saving money on long term basis.
  16. The equipment is easy to install.

Disadvantages of Solar Energy

1. Diffuse source – you need large number of solar panels to produce the needed electricity, from there you need a large land spot for this purpose.
  2. There are locations in the world where this energy is collected efficiently and some of the locationsdo not have enough sunlight.
  3. The initial cost of the solar panels is an expensive investment.
  4. You can collect it only during the day.
  5. Depends on the climate conditions.

This is our list of solar energy advantages and disadvantages. If you have something to add – please comment!

18 comments

1. lovely says:

..thanks for posting the advantages and disadvantages of solar plant…This helps me to answer my assignments in school…thank you!

2. gazi karim says:

Solar energy panels are notoriously ineffcient. They do help in generating
    hot water, but in converting the sun’s energy into electricity in a big way they are basically a non-starter. Research will undoubtedly produce more
    able, more effcient solar cells (photovoltaic cells) as time goes on, but we
    really don’t have the luxury of time that it is going to require to produce
    a cell that can convert high double digit energy effciency. Even so, the
    US has installed or plans to install by 2010 some 500,000 rooftop solar
    units, while Japan will have some 4,600 MW of solar generation capacity,
    a drop in the bucket of Japan’s energy consumption.

3. thank you for helping me in homework but do you have anymore disadvantages anyone?

4. SNOWSAFE says:

Thank you for the detail. I have to present a small paper and the Adv and Disadv gave me great support.
    JMS

5. Josh says:

Solar power is everywhere. It is an energy that cannot be depleted.

6. Barak says:

Solar power will not kill people and the environment. Nuclear power and oil or coal based power has killed people and the environment. The BP oil platform diaster. Exxon Valdez. The Japan 6 reactor potential meltdown. These scare me. I don’t want to live in fear where these can happen. With solar thermal, what is there to fear? That a mirror will break. That the water that is used to generate steam will leak out? That the steam that turns conventional turbine will leak into the atmosphere? There is no worry with solar. The only worry is that we aren’t building enough utility scale solar plants to start replacing nuclear and fossil fuel based plants.

7. Chris says:

thanks for the details.It helped me in my assignment.

8. sarah says:

helped with my essay

9. James says:

Thank You very much this helped me with my School Work!

10. Brandon says:

thanks so much! helped me with my school work

11. tanya says:

Thank you that’s really helpful for my school course work

12. erin says:

thanks so much! helped me with my geography homework

13. faisal says:

it helped me with my science homework. Thank you!

14. phumla says:

Thanks. You helped me with my school work.

15. mkiyah says:

thanks this helped me a lot with my homework

16. Jem says:

Thanks for helping me do my project:D

17. Limakoko says:

THanks. This really helped me with my 10 pages essay, which is about “Solar panel v/s Wind turbine”. But, I prefer for wind power for it releases less carbon dioxide than solar panels.