EU PVSEC 2011: Top level of development and innovation potential confirmed once more
Oerlikon Solar has been honored the Solar Industry Award in the category of "Thin Film Innovations" for the third time in a row. The international prize is awarded annually by the British trade magazine Solar PV Management. The jury selected Oerlikon Solar’s new production line ThinFabTM as the winner of the "Thin Film Innovation Award". The awards ceremony was held at the 26th European Photovoltaic Solar Energy Conference and Exhibition (EU PVSEC) in Hamburg. "The presentation of the Solar Industry Award 2011 for our ThinFabTM fills us with pride, and in addition to the sale of our first 120 MW micromorph® production line to Asia, confirms the high level of acceptance and innovative strength of our thin film silicon solar technology," comments Helmut Frankenberger, CEO of Oerlikon Solar.
The award-winning ThinFabTM from Oerlikon Solar is a manufacturing system for the mass production of ecologically sustainable thin film silicon solar modules. In June 2011, a customer from Asia placed the first order for a complete 120 MW micromorph® production line (ThinFabTM). Oerlikon Solar has also received upgrade orders from various existing customers since the ThinFabTM was introduced into the market.
ThinFabTM offers the following advantages:
- Production costs: ThinFabTM reduces the "Total Cost of Ownership" for solar modules to EUR 0.50/Wp, the lowest number in the solar industry.
- Energy efficiency: Compared to other solar manufacturing processes, the production of Oerlikon thin film silicon modules requires the least amount of energy. The "energy payback time" with Oerlikon technology is less than one year.
- Practical benefits: Thin film silicon modules offer great advantages under real operational conditions, e.g. cloudy skies or high temperatures, where crystalline solar cell efficiency declines significantly.
- Environmentally friendly: Thin film silicon modules do not contain toxic additives such as cadmium.
- Sustainability: Oerlikon’s solar technology has further potential for increased efficiency and productivity as demonstrated by ThinFab Lab’s world record cell with an efficiency of 11.9%.
Oerlikon Solar modules are suitable for all roof types and open-space applications. Their attractive design and transparency also makes them suitable for integration into buildings.
"Winning the Solar Industry Award for the third time has confirmed our investments in research and development, and our pioneering position in the field of thin film technology. We will continue to offer our customers top-notch production quality with competitive cost efficiency in the future," explains Peter Tinner, Head of Sales & Marketing at Oerlikon Solar.
- Oerlikon Solar Wins the Solar Industry Award for the 3rd Time in a Row
EU PVSEC 2011: Top level of development and innovation potential confirmed once...
- ACCIONA Receives the European Business Award for Corporate Sustainability
ACCIONA has received the Award for Corporate Sustainability conferred by...
- Marine Current Turbines wins Sustainable Ireland Award
Marine Current Turbines has been recognized at the Sustainable Ireland Awards...
- SolarWorld Demonstrate more than 1 megawatt of solar projects at U.S. manufacturing hub
Company’s solar panels demonstrated in roof-mount, ground-mount and carport systems SolarWorld, the...